Half Doll Clara in Velvet Blue Ball Gown


This was one of the first half dolls that I finished around 16 years ago.Her name is Clara and I dressed her using a method from an old pincushion that I made quite a few years before that.The Velvet skirt is made using 4 panels and a round piece of cardboard which form's the base,to which the velvet was attached,with a spray adhesive.A running stitch was added around the outside of the velvet and pulled to gather the velvet around the cardboard.
I sewed the skirt panels together and handstitched the bottom in place,then filled it with sawdust,plenty of that stuff around here!!! I  then beat the dress with the back of an old brush which helped to settle and firm the sawdust,adding more sawdust until I had the shape of the dress that I wanted.Added my doll,placed the ribbon around her waist and crimped it into ruffles and pinned these into place.
The decoration is made with beads that are put into place,with sewing pins through the middle of the bead.(see enlarged photo)No glue or sewing,Easy Peasy,just what I like..I nutted out the design,and then got out the old bead stash and pushed the beads into place.The beads around the bottom of the skirt are placed in the same fashion.
Voila,Clara is dress for the Ball.


























Tip
You could add a sequin after the bead, to the pin,this also looks lovely.
For inspiration on designs,any embroidery or candlewicking pattern would be useful.
Any coloured beads can be used,so let your imagination fly.











No comments:

Post a Comment